Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cracked 2 More

Went hiking in the Catskills yesterday (with Snuffy, of course). That gave me about three hours listening. Moved two more songs into the Unified list. Here's the tally.














UnifiedRandomTraditional

"Outrageous"
"Sure Don't Feel Like Love"
"Wartime Prayers"
"Beautiful"
"Another Galaxy"
"Once Upon A Time There Was An Ocean"

"How Can You Live in the Northeast"
"Everything About It Is A Love Song"
"I Don't Believe"
"That's Me"

"Father And Daughter"


I actually don't believe that there will be any songs in the "random" category, after we understand them. Later today I'll create the website that will be the companion to this blog: www.CrackingTheSimonCode.org. I'll post the solutions to the Unified songs.

Mean time, trust me on this: once you see what the songs are about, those random bits are very, very purposeful-sensible, logical.

Does anyone want "Another Galaxy" to be moved into the Traditional list?

4 comments:

Martin Rinehart said...

Having trouble with the "Unified" concept? In the next comment, I'll leave a couple hints about "Outrageous" and in the following comment, I'll explain it.

You decide whether you want to have the fun of puzzling this out, or just want to get to the explanation.

Martin Rinehart said...

"Outrageous" hints.

"God will, like he waters the flowers on your window sill." Of course, the sills are indoors. You'd better have your own watering can.

"I'm painting my hair the color of mud." Fortuitous accident. I wandering among the drugstore's aisles, waiting for a prescription to be filled. Stopped in front of the Just For Men hair dyes and wondered which would match my light brown hair. Then Bang! "If I used this stuff, I'd be painting my hair the color of mud!"

Martin Rinehart said...

"Outrageous" is a portrait of an aging, vain, insecure man. This comes out in the outrageous complaints that lead off. "Who's going to love you when your looks are gone?" is his insecurity. It's the thought inside his head.

"Painting my hair the color of mud." is his in-your-face way of saying, "I dye my hair. You gotta problem with that?"

"God will, like he waters the flowers on your windowsill" is our anti-hero's way of saying, "God will. Yeah, right. Don't count on it."

"I'm an ordinary player in the key of C." C is the beginner's piano key. It doesn't use the black keys. Our anti-hero is vain about his looks, not his accomplishments.

This is really a very sad portrait. Even 900 situps a day (he needs to change personal trainers) won't do more than postpone the inevitable. Without some accomplishments to fall back on, the man's bitterness can only grow.

This was the first song I cracked. "Wow, this IS outrageous," I thought.

Martin Rinehart said...

Off topic, Snuffy, the Magic Puppy, is about the height and length of a medium large house cat. At 32 pounds (no fat) he's a barrel-chested chunk of a little dog. He's also a cardio monster. Set him down at the bottom of a mountain and he'll jog all the way up, if he doesn't have to keep waiting on his slow human.